1500.520 RELOCATION COMPENSATION PROCEDURE
Wenatchee Valley College may, within existing resources, authorize reimbursement of relocation expenses when it determines it is necessary to successfully recruit and retain a qualified candidate who will have to make a move from their fixed, permanent, and principal home, in order to accept the position. The purpose of this procedure is to provide guidance for a “self-move” expense reimbursement payment. This procedure applies to qualified new permanent employees. Payment of relocation compensation is normally limited to executive or management positions, administrative employees in supervisory positions and academic positions in accordance with OFM Moving Expense Policies (60.10).
A. SELF-MOVE EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT
Wenatchee Valley College may reimburse self-move expenses for positions that are difficult to fill, which may include:
- Executive or management positions.
- Administrative employees in supervisory positions.
- Academic positions
- Critical position(s) that are difficult to fill, in accordance with OFM 60.10.30.b.
The chief human resources officer or designee, in conjunction with the appointing authority, is responsible for reviewing and approving the conditions under which the college will consider reimbursement for self-move expenses. Conditions may also include the availability of qualified candidates and the skills and qualifications of the candidate.
Payment of relocation compensation must be within existing resources (RCW 43.03.125), and may not exceed a total dollar amount for all moving costs.
Per the Washington state Department of Enterprise Services (DES), a “self-move” is where the new employee is responsible for either hiring a common carrier directly (e.g., Allied Van Lines; Starving Students) or for renting moving equipment (example. U-Haul). If renting moving equipment, it is a single; shortest distance, one-way, one time move (not multiple trips between origin and destination). The new employee pays for the services directly and upon completion of the move; submits receipts to Wenatchee Valley College. A human resources officer will audit for compliance of set allotments and reimburse the new employee (through the payroll process).
The following procedures must be followed:
- Prior to the relocation, the prospective employee must read the DES Employee Moving Guide and then notify the chief human resources officer or designee of the intention to seek reimbursement for a “self-move.”
- The chief human resources officer or designee will review the documentation and determine eligibility.
- Upon approval, the prospective employee will be provided documentation for payment and relocation authorization form A33. The prospective employee must sign and return all documentation to the human resources office. The prospective employee must provide all receipts for all expenses in which they are seeking reimbursement.
- Payment will not be made until the prospective employee begins work with the college.
- Payment will be made in conjunction with the next applicable paycheck.
- Payment is considered taxable fringe and is subject to income tax, social security, Medicare and other required deductions. Payment will be reported on the employee’s W-2 form.
C. MAXIMUM ALLOTMENTS
Wenatchee Valley College has set a maximum allotment in accordance with DES and office of financial services (OFM) guidelines. Please contact the chief human resources officer or designee for maximum allotment amount.
If within one year of the date of appointment the employee voluntarily terminates employment, or engages in behavior that makes termination of employment necessary, the full amount of the relocation compensation payment must be repaid to the college. This amount shall become a debt owed to Wenatchee Valley College, and the employee will be liable for all cost of collection including reasonable attorney fees. Employment offer letters or employment agreement must include notification of the repayment provision.
Termination of employment as a result of layoff, disability separation, or other good cause as determined by the chief human resources officer, or their respective designees, will not require repayment of the relocation compensation.
Wenatchee Valley College may withhold the amount of the relocation compensation paid by the college from any amounts due the employee. (RCW 43.03.120, SAAM 60.10.30(c))
Approved by the president’s cabinet: 2/7/23
Last reviewed: 2/7/23
Policy contact: Human Resources
Related policies and procedures
500.515 Interview Expense Policy
1500.515 Interview Expense Procedure
Washington State Department of Enterprise Services